Zendesk (San Francisco, CA)
2016 - Present
2016 - Present
- Writing new (and improving old) production Ruby/Rails & Ember.js code (and tests)
Improving team and project processes:
- Optimizing our continuous-integration (Travis & Jenkins) configurations
- Implementing Rubocop & Reek static-analysis tools
- Adding and improving instrumentation to monitor our code performance and alerting
- Ruby contributor! Proposed and wrote the initial implementation of String#casecmp?
Shuddle, Inc. (San Francisco, CA)
2015 - 2016
2015 - 2016
- Contributed production code (and tests) daily via Ruby on Rails, RSpec, Postgres, Redis, Git, Github and various third-party APIs.
- Improved collective code quality by participating in code reviews on all Github pull requests.
- Reduced similar-record database insertion times by 95% (over standard ActiveRecord) by implementing a bulk-record insertion feature.
Raytheon Integrated Defenese Systems (San Diego, CA)
2006 - 2015
Senior Electrical Engineer II, Platform Integration (w/ DoD SECRET Clearance)
2010 - 2015
- Customer/company POC for all procurement, production, and sell-off activities for multiple Engineering Development Model deliveries (approx. $43M in revenue).
- Utilized Earned Value Management to analyze cost & schedule performance, to forecast program performance, manage risk & opportunity, and plan & maintain an Integrated Master Schedule.
- Eight consecutive annual performance rankings in the top quartile of labor grade.
Senior Electrical Engineer I, Platform Integration
2008 - 2010
- Oversaw the planning, execution, and reporting of $50M in revenue and multiple hardware deliverables.
- Completed multiple successful internal and customer audits, and quarterly compliance reviews.
Electrical Engineer II, Naval Platform E3
2006 - 2008
- Developed tools in Excel and Mathcad to automate the analysis and sell-off of EMI/EMC/Lightning/EMP requirements (eg., MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464.)
- Assigned a “High Potential” designation by performing in the top 2% of salary grade.
Daily: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, RSpec, MiniTest, MySQL, Git, Github, Docker, Travis CI
Previously: PostGIS, Cucumber, Elasticsearch, Excel VBA
Earned Value Management, Integrated Master Plan & Schedule Development, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project, Statement of Work Creation, Basis of Estimate Creation, Six Sigma Process Improvement
Clean Ruby, The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master, Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests, Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby: An Agile Primer, Design Patterns in Ruby, Everyday Rails Testing with RSpec, Ruby on Rails Tutorial: Learn Web Development with Rails, The Well-Grounded Rubyist, Eloquent Ruby, Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML, Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL – A Learner’s Guide
Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Raspberry Pi, Electrical Engineering
Description: A small rails webserver that runs on a Raspberry Pi Model B that will monitor a plant’s soil moisture and display the historical measurements. If the moisture level dips below a preset threshold, a rake task will trigger a small aquarium pump to water the plant
Why it’s cool: I like this project because it’s an interesting mix of hardware and software. The Raspberry Pi is fully capable of supporting Debian linux and running a rails server, while this project relies upon an analog moisture sensor, an ten-bit A2D converter, and a power relay to switch on the aquarium pump.
Ruby, Sinatra, Raspberry Pi, dns-sd
Description: A Ruby gem that creates a simple DSL for creating a Raspberry Pi web server to monitor sensors, switches, and buttons via the Pi’s GPIO pins. Utilizes a simple, mobile-ready interface, and supports dns-sd/Bonjour discovery of other whipped-cream Pis on the local network.
Why it’s cool: Anything on the Pi is fun, but this project was also my first significant open-source contribution. It was also my first foray into ruby gems, and let me learn a bit about Travis CI and dns-sd.
Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Bootstrap, Devise, Highcharts
Description: Your typical public-facing rails prototype that implements real-time public voting (similar to real-time polling during political speeches.) Uses bootstrap for layout, devise for user authentication, and Highcharts for data plotting.
Ruby, Padrino, Bootstrap, Haml, Mechanize
Description: A small weekend project to learn a bit about Sinatra/Padrino. This site scrapes the recreation.gov website for open dates in Yosemite’s Lower Pines campground. Utilizes the Padrino framework, ActiveRecord for data persistance, and bootstrap for appearance.
Why it’s cool: This project was fun because it introduced me to an alternate MVC framework, and helped me realize what parts of rails really shine and what parts I could live without. It’s also super convenient.
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Master of Science in Engineering Applied Electromagnetics
Bachelor of Science in Engineering Electrical Engineering (w/ Physics minor)
Key Coursework: Electromagnetics I & II; Electromagnetic Theory; Numerical Electromagnetics; Antenna Theory & Design; Radiowave Propagation and Link Design; Advanced Solid State Microwave Circuits; Digital Communications, Digital Signal Processing and Analysis